Do you need a work a work permit for Canada? I know that is exactly why you are on this page. Do not worry, I will show you all you need to know about the Canadian work permit.
Simply go through this post till the end.
Processes of Getting Work Permit
The majority of foreign nationals who wish to work in Canada must get a work permit. If you’re not sure whether you need a work permit, you can find out here.
Make sure you have the appropriate work authorization for your situation.
Types of Work Permit
- Work permit tailored to the needs of the employer
An employer-specific work permit allows you to work in Canada in accordance with the conditions of your work permit, such as the requirements of your company.
- the name of the specific employer for whom you are eligible to work
- how long you are capable of working
- the location where you will be able to work (if applicable)
A copy of the employer’s Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number, which you must include in your application for an employer-specific work permit, must be provided to you before you may submit your application.
- Open Work Permit
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, with the exception of one who has a closed work permit.
- is identified as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the restrictions, or is otherwise disqualified from participation
- regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
An open work permit can only be obtained in a few specified circumstances.
Still not sure which one you should acquire for yourself? Find out what type of work permit you require based on your circumstances and apply for it.
Categories of Work Permit for Canada
There are different categories of work permit. They include the following:
- Work permit for temporary workers
- Work permit for business people
- Work permit for students
- International Experience Canada
- Work permit for caregivers
- Overnight camp counsellors Work permit
- Agricultural workers
- Open work permit for Hong Kong recent graduates
Each of the categories above requires its peculiar means of application. For instance, in Canadian temporary work permit, you may not really need a work permit to start working in Canada.
It all depends of your qualifications and answers given during your application.
Who can apply for Canada Work Permit – Eligibility Requirements
When applying for a work visa, there are specific conditions that must be met based on where you are located at the time of application.
However, regardless of where you apply or what type of work permit you apply for, you must submit an application.
- You must demonstrate to an officer that you intend to depart Canada when your work visa expires.
- You must demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself and your family members while you are in Canada and when you return home.
- maintain complete compliance with the law and have no prior criminal history (we may require you to provide us with a police clearance certificate);
- not pose a threat to the national security of Canada;
- be in good health and, if necessary, undergo a medical examination
- Employers who have been designated as “ineligible” on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions should not be considered for employment.
- It is not intended that you work for an employer who provides striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages on a consistent basis; and
- Provide the officer with any further documentation they request to confirm your eligibility to enter the country.
If you are applying from outside of Canada, you must meet certain eligibility requirements.
Anyone who wishes to apply before entering Canada can do so. However, depending on the country or territory from which you are applying, there may be additional conditions from the visa office that you must meet. Make certain that you adhere to the application procedures provided.
If you are applying from within Canada, you must meet certain eligibility requirements.
- You can only apply for a work visa from within Canada if you have a valid passport.
- you possess a valid study or work permit; and
- Have a valid study or work permit for yourself, your spouse, common-law partner, or parents;
- Because your study permit is still current and you are qualified for a post-graduation employment permit, you should apply.
- You are in possession of a temporary residency permit that is valid for at least six months;
- The decision on your application for permanent residency from within Canada has not yet been made.
- You submitted an application for refugee status;
- The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada has recognized you as a convention refugee or as a protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Act;
- Work in Canada is permitted without a work permit for certain jobs, but a work permit is required for other jobs (this does not apply to business visitors); or Work in Canada is permitted without a work permit for certain jobs.
- You are a trader, an investor, an intra-company transferee, or a professional who falls under the jurisdiction of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
If you apply at a port of entry when you enter Canada, you must meet the following requirements
- Before you fly to Canada, you need submit an application for a work visa.
- Nonetheless, if you meet the requirements, you can apply for a work permit when you arrive in Canada.
- To submit an application at a port of entry (POE), you must meet all of the requirements listed below:
- have the option of traveling with an electronic travel permission or traveling without a visitor visa (find out if you need a visa)
- while the COVID-19 travel restrictions are in effect, be eligible to visit Canada
- Your employer must have completed all of the necessary requirements to obtain your employer-specific work permit before you may begin working.
- You must be eligible to apply for work permit
Before you travel to Canada
All travelers entering Canada must adhere to the country’s testing and quarantine standards in order to ensure the safety of everyone. You may be excluded from some of these rules if you meet specific requirements in certain circumstances.
You may also be required to undergo a medical examination before to entering Canada. Find out if you need one.
How to apply for Canada Work Permit
Due to COVID-19, most applicants now need to apply online for a work permit. Answer a few questions to find out how to apply.
First, choose where you are applying from (Outside Canada, Inside Canada or at a port entry)
After you Apply
Once your work permit application is submitted successfully to the appropriate desk, next is to wait for your application to be processed.
To know whether or not your work permit is approved, simply check your work permit status.